A brighter year 2021!
Do you know what's the Korean traditional New Year dishes and food?
Korean rice cake soup, It's a traditional must-eat New Year's dish.
Eating a bowl of rice cake soup on the Lunar New Year symbolizes good health, a long life, and becoming another year older.
Pancakes are also one of the common traditional foods in the New Year. Zucchini pancakes, kimchi pancakes, meat pancakes, etc.
If you are a fan of "Journey to the West", you should have seen them eat many different types of pancakes on the show. Yea right?
Well, since now that we can't go anywhere, but in the new year, we can still feel the breath of Korea while preparing and eating Korean food!
Recipe #1：Tteokguk Rice Cake Soip 떡국
- 100g Korean rice cake
- 50g kimchi
- 1/2 green onion
- 1500cc stock for soup
- 100g sliced pork
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp of Korean chili powder
- 1 tbsp rice wine
- White pepper
【HOW TO MAKE】
- Chopped the green onions and set them aside; Stir fry the sliced pork until cooked and set aside; Mix all the seasonings together in a bowl. Soak the rice cakes in cold water for 15 to 20 mins to soften.
- Put the stock, green onion into a pot and boil on medium-high heat. Once the water starts to boil, add the meat. Boil them on medium-high heat for a further 5 mins then reduce the heat to medium. Then add in the kimchi.
- Add the rice cakes and cook until softened. Do not overcook the rice cakes as they can turn mushy. Then add all the well-mixed sauces. and continue to stir. Taste the soup and adjust seasoning if needed. Sprinkle some sesame seeds if you’d like and there you go!
Recipe #2：Aeho Pakjeon 애호박전
- 3 Tablespoons of All-Purpose Flour
- White Vinegar
- Soy Sauce
【HOW TO MAKE】
- Cut zucchini into slices and lay them in layers out on a plate, sprinkle a pinch of salt, and let it sit for about 10 minutes.
- In the meantime, put some flour onto a plate or a shallow bowl. Also, whisk one egg into another bowl and add a pinch of salt to the egg.
- To make the sauce, mix the soy sauce, water, white vinegar, and sugar evenly.
- Coat the zucchini slices with flour on both sides and set aside.
- Dip each floured zucchini piece into the egg, coat it fully and then put it in the frying pan. Lower the heat to medium once there are enough pieces to fill the pan.
- When the edges start to brown (or you look to see how much each piece has cooked by lifting it slightly off the pan), turn them over. When both sides are nicely browned then they are ready to be taken off the heat.
- Serve the Korean Pan-Fried Zucchini and sauce together! Enjoy!
Recipe #3：Gamjatang 갈비찜
【𝗜𝗻𝗴𝗿𝗲𝗱𝗶𝗲𝗻𝘁𝘀】 - (3 to 4 servings)
- 300g Pork neck bone
- 450g Chinese cabbage
- 600g Potatoes (peeled and cut into pieces)
- 20g Ginger, thinly sliced
- 20g Green Onion (white part)
- Hot water
- 20g garlic, thinly sliced
- 60ml Soy sauce
- 40ml Mirin
- 30ml Fish sauce
- 1 tsp of Korean chili powder
- 1 tsp of miso
- 2 tsp of Korean chili paste
【HOW TO MAKE】
- In a separate pot, add some water and salt and boil it. Once the water is rapidly boiling, parboil the cabbage for 1 to 2 mins. Drain away the water and cool down the leaves. Then mix well with the sauce for later use.
- Place the bones into a large pot and cook over medium heat until the surface is colored. Then add in potato, sliced ginger, green onion, and seasoned cabbage.
- Pour in hot water and the remaining sauce used for seasoning the cabbage. Boil over medium-high heat until the potatoes cook completely (10 to 15 mins). Reduce the heat to medium, and continue to simmer for 50 to 60 mistunes. And done!
Recipe #4：JapChae 잡채
- Dangmyeon noodles(also known as “glass noodles”)
- Red pepper
- Black fungus
- Shredded beef
- Cooking oil
- Soy sauce
- Korean sesame oil
【HOW TO MAKE】
- Cut the carrot into matchsticks. Thinly slice the onion. Cut the veggies, black fungus, red pepper into similar lengths.
- Season the vegetables appropriately and sauté them individually, and remove from the pan and set aside for later.
- Stir-fry the veggies, add some sesame oil, and mix well.
- Cook the Dangmyeon noodles for 5-6 minutes, transfer back to the bowl, add sesame oil and mix well. (Be careful not to overcook the noodles, or they will become mushy in the stir-fry.)
- Stir-fry shredded beef until half-ripe, season with pepper, add veggies, Dangmyeon noodles, and the remaining sauce to the pan with all other prepared ingredients.
- Bonus: Adding a little sesame oil to boost the flavor before serving them :)
The last and most important one! Sweet Rice Drink 식혜(Sikhye), we all know that Koreans love their Sikhye! They will be paired with New Year dishes to enjoy together!
Well, go with delicious food and fine wine. Beautiful cooking utensils and tableware are very important. People have always loved delicious food, which not only makes the food look extra delicious, but it makes the whole table look more delicate.
Modori Sodam Cookware Set
Modori Multi-Function Cookware Set
1️⃣18cm Cooking Pot -> Perfect for Ramen, hot soup, and can easily prepare a meal for 1-2 people
2️⃣ 22cm Cooking Pot -> Suitable for cooking steamboat, or cook up any large batch of food with a lot of liquid.
3️⃣ 24cm Frying Pan -> With its deeper walls and the wider cooking surface. Perfect for cooking fried rice or fried steak, spaghetti, and more.
4️⃣ Multifunctional Handle ->Specially designed removable handle, it means you can switch from one pan to another in a single click.
Create delicious meals and desserts with the convenient versatile 3-Piece cookware set
*Safe and excellent non-stick effect
*Easy to care
*Cook with less oil
*Durable and long-lasting
Suitable to use:
Gas Stove、Induction Cooker、IH Cooker、Black Ceramic Cooker
✅Functionality (and stylish) cookware!
Update your kitchen with a new stackable cookware set!